Fast food is delicious and Eating at home is good for me >> Fact. Making fast food at home with a few adjustments is delicious.
And that is what I did. After having a million Aloo Tikki cheese burgers from which undoubtedly is one of the best fast food joints in india, I was inherently familiar with the taste, texture and every little detail that made me fall in love with this potato-y goodness! A few things I couldn’t compromise on – The Potato, The Burger Buns and a crunchy patties. I have since then made quite a few burgers which have a lot more healthy ingredients than this one . But for now, we stick to very simple steps – make an Indian-style potato patties and stuff it into cheese a burger bun and call it a day!
All my friends – this is the real deal.
- For the Potato Patties / Aloo Tikki
- 3-4 Medium or 2 Large Potatoes, washed & scrubbed
- 2 Onion chopped
- 1.5 or 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust as per your taste)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder (optional)
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 handful of Cilantro or Coriander, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons cornflour/ bread crumbs
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 4 Burger Buns
- Round Slices of Tomato
- Onion Rigs / Onion Slices
- Cheese Slice
- Tomato Ketchup
- If you want to make the patties even more filling, you can smash some cooked peas into the mixture.
- Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer till they are soft but firm. If you insert a knife, it should go in and out of the potatoes without any trouble. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and mash them. You can use a fork or simply your hands.
- Sautée Onion in oil until they grown.
- Add all the minced garlic, Sautée Onion,chopped cilantro (coriander), spices, cornstarch, bread crumbs and mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning, if required.
- Depending on the size of your burger buns, divide the mixture and make neat patties (Take a portion of the mixture, roll into a neat ball and then flatten it evenly to form a patty)
- Heat the oil on a pan (preferably non-stick) and add the patties on to the pan.
- Let them cook on one side for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Do not flip. When it is fully cooked and golden brown, it will release itself. Flip and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the burger buns. You can toast them, if you want to. Apply the sauces of you preference.
Place the patty on top. Add a slice of cheese, on top of the patty.
- Top the patty with tomato slices and onion rings. Apply sauce to the other half of the bun too.
- Close the burgers & enjoy!
- Do not make this on your grill. The mixture is too delicate and may disintegrate. Best option is to use a regular iron or preferably non-stick pan
- The spices are typical to the Indian cuisine. Feel free to play with the amounts
- Don’t add too much of breadcrumbs or the patties will be tough and wouldn’t have much flavor