Hello!! guys today i’m share my Mom Recipe Pulao…..
Our New Year’s lunch spread was an elaborate thali and the star player was tawa pulao served with khoya matar paneer and boondi raita as the side dish. I also prepared masala paratha, punjabi dhuli dal, pahadi (kumaoni) aloo fry and papad cone while desserts were carrot kheer and mawa besan laddu. In today’s post, I am going to focus on Rajasthan famous and popular street food, tawa pulao. Its a fusion food Mixed vegetables are sauteed in a masala base and tossed with boiled rice in a wide iron griddle similar to Chinese style vegetable fried rice. The most important ingredient is pav bhaji masala, mix that is used in pav bhaji preparation.
Tawa pulao recipe
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Serves: 4
- mixed vegetables
- Basmati rice – 4 cups of cooked rice
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 4 tbsps(beacuse i love it)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp, grated
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely minced
- Green chilis – 1-2, finely chopped
- Onions – 1, medium, finely sliced
- Tomatoes – 2, medium, finely chopped
- Carrots – 1/2 cup, blanched in hot water for 5-6 mts (cut into round disks or 1″ length strips)
- Capsicum – 1/3 cup (chopped into 1/2″ length strips)
- Cauliflower – 1/2 cup, cut into small florets and boiled in hot water for 5-6 mts – optional
- Potato – 1, small, peeled, cut into 1″ lenght strips and boiled
- Green peas – 1/4 cup, boiled
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp, Kashmiri
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 1 1/4 tbsps (or a heaped tbsp)
- White pepper powder – pinch
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped and packed
- In a flat wide tawa, heat oil and butter. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies and saute for 2-3 mts. Add the minced ginger and garlic, mix and saute for 3 minute .
- Add the chopped capsicum and saute for a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and half of the coriander leaves and saute for 6-8 minute or till oil separates and becomes mushy.
- Add red chili powder, white pepper powder, pav bhaji masala and half of the salt and mix well. Allow the flavors to meld for a mt or two.
- Add the blanched cauliflower, carrots, boiled potatoes and mix well. Add a few tbsps of water and cook on low-medium flame for 7-8 mts till the flavors meld. Add the green peas and mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Adjust salt and mix the rice carefully such that rice grains do not break. Add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off flame.
- Remove to a serving bowl and serve warm with any raita of your choice or yogurt.
- The cooked rice should be not be mushy. Each grain should be separate.
- You can use 3/4 tsp ginger garlic paste instead of minced/grated ginger and garlic.
- For a more spicy tawa pulao, increase the quantity of pav bhaji masala by 1/2 tsp do not add much .