Aloo fry, an easy, quick, crispy potato fry made with less oil that makes a great side dish with rice and dal or sambar… aloo fry
Aloo fry with less oil? A well roasted and crispy potato fry with less oil is very much possible. I will share a few tips on how to make potato fry that’s quick and perfectly crispy with less oil and makes for a great side dish with rice, dal or rasam and yogurt.
How to make potato fry that’s crispy with less oil
Aloo fry recipe
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Serves: 5
- Potatoes – 2, very large size, wash, peel, cube and place in salted water for at least 20 to 30 mins
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 tsps (adjust)
- Coriander powder – 1 1/4 tsps
- Besan – 1 tsp (chickpea flour/senagapindi)
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 tbsps
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig (optional)
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil turns hot, add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and mix. Immediately add the cubed potatoes. Saute on high heat for 2 to 3 mins.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook for 4 to 5 mins, mixing the contents once.
- Reduce heat to low, place lid and cook till the potatoes turn soft, approx 16-18 mins. You can mix the contents once during this cooking process.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, chickpea flour or besan, and salt and mix. Stir fry without lid on high flame for 3 to 4 mins and toss the potatoes well till turn they attain a golden crisp exterior.
- Turn off heat and serve with rice, dal or rasam and papad.
- And enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!